Romania: are rapeseed production and exports to hit another high in 2017/18?
The European Commission estimates that the 2017/18 season will be more successful for the EU in respect of rapeseed production. The European rapeseed harvest may rise to 22.13 MMT (20 MMT in 2016/17) owing to favorable weather conditions in the top producing countries along with an expansion of this crop’s planted area to 6620 Th ha (6493 Th ha this season).
Thus, in the new season, the EU will be able to reduce imports from third countries by 340 KMT to 3.46 MMT, and the nation to continue replenishing the rapeseed shortage in the EU internal market will be Romania.
Although Romania is just the fifth largest rapeseed producer in the EU, it plays an important role in this commodity’s exports both to the EU internal market and beyond its borders. Along with Poland, Romania is pushing for the second position among the top EU exporters, next to France.
However, the 2016/17 season may prove a turning point for the country, UkrAgroConsult notes. Due to a second consecutive year of crop failure in the key producing countries and a bumper own harvest, the current pace of exports suggests that Romanian exporters are able to climb the top this season.
- Syria gets 50,000 tonnes of Russian wheat in aid, none from commercial deals
- Russian grain to be decontaminated in India
- Vice PM Kubiv: Ukraine’s GDP growth in 2016 exceeded forecasts twofold
- China's Feb ethanol imports hit several-year low at 9 cu m on closing arbitrage
- Brazil: soy harvest reaches 68% and projections can go higher; AgRural